31 January 2007

physics makes us all its bitches

I turned into a 23-year-old young man-about-town yesterday, and to celebrate, we threw a party four days prior, this past Friday. In addition to myself and the roommates, folks came from all whereabouts and whenabouts--old friends from Henry County like Sarah, Anthony, Erich, and Laura--Oxford Orange Paper Gang members Jackie, Jen, John, and Jonas--the guild of my friends slash neighbors here in the city, Linzy, Dima, Josh, Matt, Patryk, Brian, other Brian, Roberta, Madeline, Buckner, and Meagan--co-booksellers Stacy, Bree, China, and Thomas--the sole friend I've really made exclusively in class at GSU, Darren--and of course, the two that trekked down from South Carolina for the festival, Anna and Taylor. It was probably the best party anyone's ever thrown. The movement of the party through space and time was so guided by a divine hand as to grant me the pleasure of spending time with practically everyone who came to the party, with Anthony, Taylor, and the Orange Paper Gang arriving first, our neighboring Atlantans drifting in and out throughout the commotion, and ending with Sarah, Erich, Darren, and I sitting in the quiet, empty living room cavorting on 'til 5 am. That, and I got gifts ranging from drug dealer-themed refrigerator magnets to a tiny replica of the 1960s-era Batmobile. . . . Yesterday afternoon, I met my parents, grandmother, and aunt for lunch at Mo Mo Ya in Morrow. Got a huge cookie from my grandmother, ate leftover Japanese for next three meals.

But perhaps the most exciting news of this weekend may have nothing to do whatsoever with my 23rd year here on this plane. In fact, it may have something more to do with my reversion to age 12. Such took place for the filming of the movie trailer for Me and My 'Bot, a lovable children's comedy about a young, down-and-out, Charlie-Brown-meets-Vince-Vaughan character who overcomes his troubles with making friends in middle school and dealing with family issues when he meets a new friend from an outer space robot factory. We filmed the entirety of the movie this weekend, which just remains to be edited and perfected by Julian and Jamie tomorrow. Not to give anything too specific away, some favorite moments: using a ________ as a weapon to bludgeon ________, putting the moves on ______ in a robot costume in the ________, riding in a _______ with a robot on the _______, and being held up against the _______ by a _______ with a _______ impediment. The film will assuredly be debuting on the big screen next Wednesday evening at Campus MovieFest, which will be held at the Rialto downtown at GSU, 7pm . COME SEE IT BE AWESOME AND MAYBE EVEN WIN SOMETHING.

It's incredible how beautiful the new of Montreal album is. Literally incredible, as in syn. unbelievable. I've been playing it at work nonstop, blaring it throughout the store louder and louder as the hours wind down. I seem to have been doing a great deal of such lately, having done the same most recently with new albums from Grandaddy, We Are Scientists, Belle & Sebastian, TV On the Radio, and any other albums I could dig up in the available playlist; I must say there's been a lot of great music over the past year or so, in the right places. Of course, my having also just found out how to break into "Manager's Choice" and add my own CDs to the Borders playlist was the only way I could get the new of Montreal, appropriately(?!) named Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? to play in the store... nevertheless, check out the new video, "Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse", on youtube now.

No comments: