16 May 2008

some places of note, pt. 1

Emory University: Former school and current place of work, looks best when viewed from above. I experienced a moment of awe the other day when Alex, a co-worker of mine at the bookstore, took me to the wraparound balcony of the tenth floor of the Emory library after getting blazed behind Alabama Hall during our lunch break. I've gazed upon the skyscraping parts of the city before from vantage points ranging from the Fulton Cotton Mill rooftops to the top of Clairmont Tower, but this one was three hundred sixty degrees of a fresh perspective. Now, I've been having better times at the bookstore lately, and it is quite frankly the easiest money I've ever made, but the lack of memorable challenges or a healthy paycheck currently has me waist-deep in updated resumes and applications to media outlets and museums. Nevertheless, the library experience with Alex was enough to make me glad that I'd come back here.

Twinhead HQ, Newton Avenue: A home shared by Eli, James, and Molly that also serves as the meeting place for any and all Twinhead meetings/events/orgies/etc. Since Pterodactyls, we've moved on to structuring a political variety show for early next month called Donkey Punch! I'm excited about the event itself, but I haven't really contributed much to the creative process, as my ideas have been either phased out or unexpectedly delegated to someone else. I was starting to feel a lot of apprehension about this whole show, seeing as how the political involvement of Twinhead maxes out in about five members that regularly read the news, but that's it; most of the individual components of Twinhead couldn't tell the difference between a superdelegate and fake plastic vomit, and I hope that isn't obvious in the humor. However, I do continue to be surprised by the unexpected quality that's come forth in several of the sketches we've discussed, particularly the debate Julian's been working on. So I expect nothing short of mild to heavy comedy; I hope to have more of a creative foothold in the next one, though.

Vermont: A V-shaped state often misattributed as one of the first thirteen colonies. It wasn't. Anyway, one Kristi DeVille, whom I first met as the director of Christian Comic Chaos back in October, is leaving Twinhead for the less smog-choked pastures of the only state with no highway billboards. I will miss her dearly for having known her for such a little time, but it does give me a great non-Ryan excuse to visit Vermont. We had a going-away barbecue party at the lofts on Rogers Street next to that crazy abandoned place; the whole of Twinhead sitting in a circle on the grass playing Telephone and smoking weed will be a memory forever lodged in my brain, and I'm sure Kre will treasure it, as well.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yay! An update! I love how you structured this post.

Also, in regards to the political knowledge of Twinhead I'd love to offer my two cents. I may know a thing or two about primaries and debates and the role the media plays ;)