
Pterodactyls is less than a week from this moment, and I don't think I've ever been so comfortable with a character I've ever played. And only about 76% of that comfort is derived solely from sharing a super-hot on-stage romantic moment with Eli. The rest is just the natural comfort that comes from being such an incredible actor.
The cast of this show is amazingly small as compared to the other Twinhead productions of which I've been a part, the ensemble limited to Diana, Eli, Rob, Stephanie, and myself, with Kristi and Krista directing. And so there's an unfamiliar sensation of knowing that even most of Twinhead itself is unaware of what's been going on in the construction of this production. I mean, not that we've tweaked Nicky Silver's play with the addition of Brazilian supermodel spies or giant battling robots, but in the few short weeks we've been able to learn lines, block the stage, flesh out characters, and practice family dysfunction, we've come a surprisingly long way. I really can't wait for this show to take the stage so everyone can witness this veritable definition of a dark comedy, a play hilarious both because of and despite overarching themes of mental illness, disease and contagion, severe famililal conflict, and suicide. Leave it to Twinhead and Nicky Silver to bring out the laughs from sexual abuse and AIDS.
Jamie and Julian have been taking a relaxing vacation in Sylva for the weekend, complete with what I'm sure involve rounds of FUBAR with Julian's parents. With the boys gone, Katie and I planned to team up Friday night and go out dancing, but Katie must have been hanging out with some first-graders earlier that day and came down with pinkeye. Becca and I instead spent the night watching the disturbingly captivating work of Korean cinema known as Old Boy over at Newton with James, Eli, Rob, Diana, and Steph, followed up by a few rounds of Looney Tunes to balance out minds that had been thoroughly warped by the events of the movie that had just ended. Last night, Katie reunited with Becca, Mike, and I and we eventually found ourselves at Mary's and running into the likes of Borders residents Josh and Will and Greg from Southern Tacos. After an attempt at Phil Collins' "Easy Lover" by Becca and myself and a round or two of drinks and laughs and such, we appropriately ended our night and had Burger Win delivered.
One more thing:
You know what's really quite underrated? Beck's Midnite Vultures, a 1999 album that was probably best known for the background music for a series of commercials for Sunday night programming on Fox or some such shit. But all it takes is a single listen of "Get Real Paid" or "Peaches & Cream" to realize how crazy awesome this album is. That just had to be made known.
1 comment:
I'm jealous you guys watched Old Boy, I haven't seen that yet. It's much less visceral, but equally captivating is the also Korean Kim Ki-duk's "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring."
Post a Comment