07 April 2008

oh, god


The night before last, the members of Twinhead Theatre graced the big screen together for the first time at the Plaza Theater. Eli, Julian, and Jamie introduced the film to the sold-out crowd of 15o and... yes, that's right, sold out... we actually had to turn away quite a crowd of people by 9:15, including Amber, my manager Cat, and the members of Sorry No Ferrari, whose music we used for the movie. But yes, just after 9:30, upon introduction from the directors, we all sat in immeasurable anxiety and wonder as this unbelievably packed room of people experienced an hour and 15 minutes of cinema that provided everything from blood-soaked nude scenes to a pervasive theme of women with mustaches to a trailer for the latest Problem Child movie (20 years later) to an apocalypse set within the universe of the movie itself.

And the audience loved it. Feeling 150 people's collective laughter, tension, surprise, and even relief was one of the most impossibly magnificent experiences of my life.

Of course, my own thorough interpretation of the collective reaction to the movie has thus far been gathered from conversation just after the movie with a small Oxford crowd including Jonas, John, Jackie, and Jen, not to mention a significant time drunkenly discussing the movie with Germain and Zan at the Glenwood afterwards. Since then, however, I've been in no state to fish for the opinions of others on the movie... after the premiere and a trip to the Glenwood, a group of us ended up at Stephanie's place sitting around and passing the pipe; after Eli, Diana, and Lauren left, Stephanie, Krista, Rob, and I spent several more hours stimulating ourselves to an eventual sleep around seven the next morning. And Molly, Cherry, Stephanie, and I spent several more hours yesterday on a different plane of existence that was, though leading up to an incredible comfort the likes of which I have never felt, was certainly too much for my mind to take for some time there. Mental notes taken on this experience and the one I had back in October have pushed me into a stronger belief that "more" most certainly does not equate with "better". But the end of the night was the most comfortable I think I've ever had, much like that of this time last year with Joshua, Julian, and Roberta and in October with Jules and Margie; sitting around the table at Newton and discussing Ben's air of George Clooney and my own of Al Pacino, slowly coming back to the ability to produce and understand language while watching James, Krista, and Diana start to lose theirs, and finally sitting back and watching
The Simpsons with Becca and Julian back at home were the most welcome experiences I think I've ever had.

Anyway, off to get a paycheck, memorize lines, and do other things normal life entails that I couldn't be happier to get back to.


Oh, and there were these people at the Glenwood that Germain, Zan, and I sat with who kept contributing to the conversation with illustrative opinions and valid points of view, all the while sharing some delicious drinks and more than a few good times. I don't remember who they were, though.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Geez Geoff, way to leave me and Katie out of your Glenwood memories.

Katie said...

PWN3D!

kaffeemitschlag said...

Yeah, I can never remember you guys. Who are you again?