14 September 2008

further annals of the summer


It's a spectacularly beautiful day, but rather than spend it outside, I'm here at home, wistfully gazing out the window wishing I had someone to spend the day with and spending an inordinate amount of time in front of my computer, often with my leg pointing toward the door as if I'll somehow convince myself that getting up from my seat is an event that is likely to occur soon.

But at least I can write, I guess.

So, our last Twinhead show was a monumental success compacted into a very short period of time. Our two-day run of Forks, Knives, & Other Weapons, Twinhead's first foray into the genre that is murder mystery dinner theatre, completely filled the house (the house being half of Manuel's Tavern in Poncey Highlands) for the two nights we performed back in mid-July. To date, this is certainly the most character-driven play we've done (since I've been around, anyway), and the audience was subject to some of the strangest and memorable murder suspects & death scenes the south side of Atlanta has ever seen. But who was the murderer? Was it Eli's Anton Scorpio, potential cunning manipulator and heir to the famous Scorpio fortune? No, he had a meat cleaver to the chest within the first ten minutes. Could it have been Cherry's Olivia Bautista, the American Idol runner-up with a flashy wardrobe and an even flashier rendition of "The Greatest Love of All"? No, she had her breasts hacked off with a butcher knife and served on a platter. What about Julian's Dr. Sain, a man with a questionable past and an even more questionable identity? You'd think so, what with the fact that he's clearly posing as Dr. Sain and is actually... well, his entire digestive system was removed via plunger to the face, so it clearly wasn't him, anyway. I guess we'll never know... unless you were in the audience on either of those nights, anyway. Who knows? Maybe we'll get to do this crazy stunt again at the Midtown Vortex, coming soon...


After Forks, Knives, & Other Weapons had been wrapped up in a nice, neat package leaking startling amounts of blood, Julian & I, along with Becca & Mike following right behind, fled to Sylva, North Carolina, for the weekend. We had a few grand meals, notably breakfast at a local diner called The Coffee Shop and a post-psychedelic christening of my new fondue pot, courtesy of FedEx delivering them accidentally to my place of work. Before diving into said fondue, we all thoroughly enjoyed a long, brightly-colored trip within the confines of the house and in the surrounding yard and stretch of road along the foot of the mountain, watching The Return of Jafar and exploring the mountainside insect life and nursing homes of the area. But I'll let this grainy video speak for itself a bit:




more to come...

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love the thoughtfulness of putting your sunglasses on the camera.

And "This is really difficult to explain, so I'll just let this speak ..." WTF? Haha, what was that?!

kaffeemitschlag said...

Why, that was baby Jesus as a substitute for a wire Christmas-light reindeer's head, of course. And yeah, even with the sunglasses, doesn't it look like the sun is the subject of some Soundgarden song?