28 June 2007

this happened in june, pt. 2

Jumping from the beginning to the end of the month, this short entry concerns itself with the antics of last night.

After coming home from an early day at work yesterday afternoon, I was interrupted from yesterday's own witty and fascinating blogwork by the sound of the doorbell, and happened to find Donnie, Erik, and Sara at my doorstep. Donnie (or Donald, as his mother calls him) has been separated by several degrees from me for over a year, having been the significant other of both Brooke and Amber, among other things; in the past few months, he has become a wonderful friend and accomplice in crime in all his lanky, red-mustachioed glory; Erik is our former next-door neighbor, fellow stoner, and father of two; and Sara, well, we're still getting to know each other, but she's hilarious and likes to dance.

Nevertheless, the three of us were eventually joined by Donnie's ladyfriend Lauren; we downed a little Sparx and headed to the Drunken Unicorn for the Casiotone for the Painfully Alone show. (And I can't help but snicker at least a little every time I hear, say, type, or otherwise experience that name.) Unexpectedly but incredibly appropriately enough, Drew Haddon was one-half of the opening act, a musical act that somewhat consisted of music, mostly minutes-long notes on one of several keyboards, but I guess it's cool if he thinks it's art. When that was finally over, the second act came on, a band that, albeit hailing from talentless southern California and having an unexciting band name (the Donkeys), were great; I danced for countless hours (or so) with both Sarah and Donnie, an experience that generated a special sort of drunken musical fun you only get with the frequency of a leap year. Casiotone eventually took the stage, in tow with his Smiths Cab for New Order electronic sadness, but that picked up pace when the Donkeys joined him about halfway on the set. And as a result, I had one of the bestand most memorable show experiences I've ever had. And some guy we met outside between sets came home with us. It was a rad night.

Coming soon, in "this happened in june, pt. 3"...
South Carolinians!
Cover letters!
Asthmatics!
Wire mesh porpoises!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I work the night shift now, which means that, after 10:30 p.m. I am free to drink and dance the night away, too.

Our schedules are finally similar. Finally! I sincerely hope this means we see each other more often.

kaffeemitschlag said...

I know, it's exciting! We can finally go dancing and watch movies and commit armed robbery.